This is a multiplayer online game. For best experience you will need at least one companion to play with you. Just fire up the game together, and you'll connect to the same persistent world as everyone else.
- Arrow keys for movement
- Space for attack/activate (use Space within the spawn zone to switch character class)
Character classes and Objectives
A Cookie Dunker's quest is to bring the cookie to the milk glass in the bottom-right of the map for an epic dunk. Watch out for the mice though. Level up to 5 stars by dunking!
Companion Cat's live to squash mice, protect the Cookie Dunkers by warding off or dispatching the mice with your claws. Companion Cats cannot gain stars.
I've been threatened for several months now to build an MMO in GameMaker, and now I've finally followed through on it. While the main game is in GameMaker, some of the server components responsible for connecting players together are written in Twisted Python; I put "MMO" in quotes as this game fulfils the technical requirements for allowing very large horizontal scale and a shared "world" for all players. SFX made using Bfxr, music made using BeepBox.
Kwisarts Level 47
- not really a fan of MMO in gamejams that are as small as this one. Might be fine for a ludum dare where many people are playing. It tends to affect the gameplay when no one is around. I mean, it didn't happen for me, but it could happen.
- Can you get points for playing cats? I don't think you do, which is a shame cause both class should be able to gather point. Especially since you need the cat to have more chances to dunk the cookie
- WHY CAN'T YOU DUNK THE COOKIE IN OJ?
- I find the "long arm" gimmick hilarious.
- I like that the arms are cut for the other players.
- The mice gangs are OP. There's a mafia going on
- The music gotta be the weakness of the game imho, it's rather repetitive
Thanks for the feedback, Kwis,
- yep, it is a problem when nobody's around. I had considered bots, but that would have been too much. I really wanted to play on the "companion" theme as there's no better companion than another player.
- in hindsight, I should have given cats stars for kill-streaks or multi-kills. but on the other hand, not getting stars is also part of the "companion" theme - by playing cat, you're foregoing your own opportunity to get stars by helping someone else.
- that's disgusting
- : )
- : )
- regarding mice gangs: the number of mice scales up with number of players and number of stars. I think it's one mouse per player, and per star. So if you have two 3-star players in the game, it's going to generate 8 mice, which is a lot. I honestly hadn't balanced the game to that level, so wasn't sure what would happen.
- agreed on the music, I didn't have enough time for it, but I'm glad there was some music in there.
WinuX Level 11
Wow, an online multiplayer game in 48 hours, nice job :D
I really liked the idea of the game and it was fun to play.
the music is good, but the sound effect when you reach the milk was not my favorite ;)
Overall, it was a pretty good game.
Swisspick Level 7
I was very surprised by the multiplayer aspect. The movement is very smooth and makes it quite enjoyable playing the game. The only things that bothered me were the hitbox of the cats attack and the repetitiveness of the gameplay and music. (Well ofc if you implement something like multiplayer and work alone) Overall a very pleasing experience :)
haha! thanks for the feedback. I managed to throw together some music in the last 30 minutes so it's a surprise more people haven't complained about it - it's something like 11 bars of music long of which only 6 are unique: https://www.beepbox.co/#6n31s6kbl00e0at7m0a7g0aj7i0r1o3210T0w1f1d1c0h0v0T0w1f1d1c0h0v0T0w1f1d1c0h0v0T2w1d1v0b4ich8Qlx4h4h4y4h4h4h4h4h4h4x4gp221zj7wbcuhgUchJaWgR1F3ihJaNS1AwQCn45QBttr9M4zjn4mqMUdyzg7Bi1uCCCCShFFQQOkzi6AcEhO5292Cf0q2ZIAjxG3gnGAysdgq2Zlpc01j4IQO17ioo8d0q0Q10
QuibbleCoatl Level 10
Really funny little game, great job on getting an online multiplayer game done in the 48 hours, I'm terrified of making anything online myself. I managed to get to level 5 with another player. But I found the best strategy was to both play the cookie class and have one person distract the mice rather than attack them. Nerf cookie class and buff kitty or I'll unsub!
Art was simple but cute and looked good. Music and effects are both nice. The use of the theme is great. It's a fun little mini "mmo" ha.
Maytch Level 2
This is a hilarious concept, great work! I wasn't fortunate enough to have companions, but I can see something like this in a sort of team wario-ware scenario.