Ugh, I can never do collisions right :S that said, it came out much better then my first gamejam experience haha.
Beware! Holy knights have come to your village hunting werewolves on the night of a full moon. Unfortunately for yourself, you are one! Their mage casts a sun spell transforming you back to human form. The spell doesn't last forever though, so dodge the soldiers while you can, and when the spell wears out, attack with you incredible werewolf strength!
CONTROLS: Movement: W, S, A, D; or UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT Aiming: Mouse Punch: Left Mouse Button Respawn: R (if stuck in wall)
CREDITS: 'The Battle' by Marcus Rasseli https://opengameart.org/content/the-battle
'Spell 3' by Bart Kelsey https://opengameart.org/content/spell-3
'Doh!' by n3b https://opengameart.org/content/doh
'Grunt 2' by n3b https://opengameart.org/content/grunt-2
Veralos Level 26
This a really neat concept for the theme. It's pretty satisfying when you turn into the wolf and get your change to take revenge on the annoying nights. Unfortunately the controls are bit wonky (why isn't there diagonal movement?) so the game play isn't quite as smooth as it should be.
The art looks decent. I like the character sprites (especially the main character's giant punches) but I feel the styles clashes with some of the background assets. The sun spell effect is pretty cool. Some of the damage sound effects stacked so you might want to have some kind of cooldown that stops that happening.
Kwisarts Level 43
- The tutorial is a big block of text. Avoid that! :c Make clear and short indications. It is much faster and enticing to the player to read.
- Already mentioned, but yes, don't use free assets unless they're from the marketplace :/
- Very buggy; when check for collisions, try to be pro-active rather than reactive. When being reactive, we can see your character being re-located one step previous. You should check for collisions by adding your speed to your movement to figure out "am I going to collide with a wall by adding my speed to my direction?"
- Why can you only move in 4 directions? Enemies seem to be free in their movements, yet you aren't.
- It's nice to be able to transform, but the game relies on waiting for you to transform into a werewolf.
- Not much to do in the game, but yeah, game jam time frame :p
Not a bad first entry!
I see, thanks for the feedback! I agree I should've allowed diagonal movement, I didn't think about that. I had intended to give the human form a crossbow that was still weaker then the werewolf's attack but offered him some offense, and would just have terrible accuracy when in werewolf form but I couldn't finish in time. Thanks for the advice though, I'll keep practicing so next jam will be better!
_l3on_ Level 8
I really like the story in your game and the art is ok.
The character and enemies sometimes pass through walls and most importantly enemies get stuck near buildings becoming an easy target (you must use mp_grid_path or a custom A* algoritm to get rid of that problem).
Overall it's not bad, and taking in count that is your first entry i can only say GOOD JOB!
Fachewachewa Level 38
The spell sound really hurt my ears. We're not allowed to get even free assets, but you should really watch out for sounds that aren't the same volume as the rest.
The idea of having two form is cool (even if I think we shouldn't start as human) but there's not much to do, it's always the same dudes, and it's pretty buggy collision-wise :(
I see, was not aware about the free asset restriction, thank you for telling me. I think I might need to get my laptop speakers checked, it was actually pretty quite when I playtested, so I will give that a look. thanks for the feedback!
And yea, I'm a noob with code, I spent most the time just trying to get it working at all haha. I was afraid it would all just be the dev-art squares and circles ect. by the time to submit XD.