Point of the game is to make as much money as you can from selling items dropped off by the dead devils you killed. But, do not fool your self. The prices of the items go up and down all the time. Can you predict their worth and make the biggest profit on the black market?
QWERTY AND AZERTY SUPPORT!
Movement - A,D or Q,D
Attack - left shift
Interact - space
RECOMMENDED: Read help on main menu
Hi, I'm a seventeen years old programmer, particapating in a game jam for a third time now. I hope you won't mind if there was any grammar mistakes in the game or the description because my main language is Bosnian.
I hope the game jams I'm doing improve my skills in, first of all, programming and critical thinking, but than also in design. If you would be kind to review the game as deeply as possible I would be very thankful <3
Kwisarts Level 47
- Hitboxes are a mess. It's pretty hard to predict if you'll touch an enemy or not, and it also seems like they have a better range than you.
- Or rather, your own hitbox for attacking is way too short. It doesn't feel consistent to attack and you gotta get super close while not being able to tell if the enemy is in range and if it's safe to attack. As a result, deaths were frustrating because you didn't expect to get hit
- Having to run from a portal to another is sometimes annoying because of the countdown. For example, I wanna check how much is X item, but I gotta wait before being able to sell.
- The shop seems a bit buggy? I once had 120 of this world's money and it didn't want to buy the item that costed exactly that. I assume your condition for buying is if you have more money, rather than having more or equal money.
- Not keen on using the mouse when it doesn't seem needed. Always try to have as less controls as possible, it avoids your hands being in an uncomfortable mess. I didn't want to move my hand to the mouse; if the gameplay itself doesn't require me to use the mouse, i'll have my hands more comfortably place. Here it didn't seem mandatory, so I think the menus should have been using keyboard only
- Speaking of which, not a fan of using shift for an important thing like attacking.
- Font seems a bit inconsistent. If possible, try to use as few as possible! It keeps it coherent and easier to read.
Aside that it wasn't bad, I played for a while!
Neural Pathway Level 2
I agree with everything that's been said so far, but I have a few extra things to add:
- The game needs more screenshake
- I wish you could see all your current items at the top of the screen somewhere
- The player's sword definitely needs a bigger hitbox
I personally had fun playing this game. Good job :)
Okay so, this is pretty good, but there's of course a lot of room for improvement.
I have a few complaints Tero already mentioned, so I'll go deeper:
- I'm not sure what you do for collisions during attacks, but it seems like "if there's a collision with an enemy during an attack, do damage, else take damage" (I tested that by "attacking" with my head, and it seemed to work). What you wanna do in a game like that is create an object which will be the hitbox of your attack and only that. It will also let you tweak the distance of you attack better than just using your character sprite, which is the real problem here (the attack range is too short).
- I also think the hitboxes of the monsters aren't very clear, especially for the big one coming down from the sky, and this adds to the weird feeling.
- The menu was pretty good, but when you die, it resets the controls to qwerty. In fact in this game you didn't even have to make us choose, since A and Q weren't used by other actions, you could juste have both be checked anyway.
- I think a full Moonlighter inspiration would have worked better, with a "full night" where you kill demons and the day when you can sell & buy things. As it is, the countdown to use the portal seem a little arbitrary, and there's no real reason to have the shopping and trading be different screens
- Now there's a few issues with the UI, mainly readability because everything is like black on dark red or red on dark red. There's also a copy of the sprites at the top left corner of the room :D
Alright, I can't think of anything else!
Veralos Level 27
The concept of this game seems really cool: You fight tough enemies so you can sell stuff and buy cool upgrades. You have to survive for a while before getting the opportunity to use the shops so you need some skill to outlast the enemy waves. Plus there's some strategy with choosing which items to sell when.
However, the execution falls a bit short. I might just be bad at predicting stuff, but the value of the items seem almost completely random. The upgrades you can get are pretty lack luster too. You can get something that slows enemies down a bit, an extra life, and then just a bunch of health boosts. I would have liked to see more powerful attacks or cool new abilities or something. The difficulty is also off as the enemies aren't too threatening and it's quite easy to survive until the portals open.
Like I said though, the core ideas are really cool. I'm sure this could be great with more polish. The visuals look sweet and the music is nice too.
Hi, I have tried your game, I can see what you have tried to pursuit, but it well bit short. Next time try improve collision detection, as it was hard to hit enemies without getting yourself hit also, it was bit inconsistent. Larger player hitbox so there is more distance between hitting the enemy and getting hit by them. Secondly sometimes enemies appeared on you, which caused immediate hit and lose of health, it was a bit annoying as I was low on health anyway. As you could only run left and right, you couldn't avoid enemies, jumping would have been good addition. But hey, 48 hours isn't much, you will get better, these jams are good spurts. Walking cycle was good, and it is good that you tried achieve more than pixel art, points for that.
About the music, sorry but the artistic content must be created during the event, and you have used others work although it is free download. Next time try remember this :)