Hello internet :D
I just made a puzzle game called Bomb it! for the GM48#27 game jam.
First time using GameMaker, I usually make games in Unity but I just wanted to challenge myself with something different.
When I saw the theme I had a creative block, couldn't think on something original that fits the theme, so I just followed the advice of every self help guru... "just do it" (I like memes)
I wanted to make something easy so I just started working on platformer game following this video, and then made a timer like this one.
After a couple minutes of playing with what I had, the idea came, eureka!, lets blow up stuff!.
What when right
- Basic platform movement done quickly.
- Love the idea.
- Having everything be affected by gravity and not go crazy.
- Found a new tool for animating 2D sprites (the sprite/animation tool is great).
- Levels were designed, implemented and tested in 30min.
What when wrong
- Lack of experience made me lose time on simple stuff like rendering a sprite on top of another and controlling sprite animations.
- Sound/Music not my forte.
- Missing tile art.
- Only 5 levels.
- Needs more juice.
I learned a lot from this experience, and I really like this game idea so I decided to keep on development regardless of the game jam results.
I must say GameMaker is a great program (I love the mask ui for collision detection), it really does makes it easy to develop something in 2D.
Now I should go and play the games of the other participants. They must have more experience that me, so I'm looking forward to play their creations!.
My newly created devblog