Guide Use left click to strike lightning, breaking trees and rockpiles for resources. (Be careful around your people though!) Use right click to rain water over an area, speeding up the growth of crops and trees. Switch between Q, W , and E to prioritize building crops, rock piles and towns. People need food and a town to survive, and each town can only hold 10 people. Try to get as many people on your island as possible!
This is my third game jam so I would love feedback on anything and everything. I really tried to limit my scope to avoid overwhelming myself. Have fun!
I like the idea and the gameplay works fine, good job but a few things i would or improved were Give the player a proper goal to work towards i was taking shots in the dark waiting for something to happen and trying to grow the island also i found a couple of bugs, if you use lightning or water outside of the island the sprite will never disappear and the farms sometimes build over each otherSubmitted
An interesting idea.
While I'm able to eventually have my island grow, I almost felt this was more by chance than design.
Eventualy your background stopped clearing, so I'd end up with a assortment of lightning bolts and smoke clouds painting it.Submitted
You have the beginnings of a cool sandbox here. It took me a bit of time to figure everything out but it all made sense in the end. Some notes:
- Not having anything to do while waiting for the cooldowns made them feel longer and was the main detractor from having fun
- Both abilities are best used immediately. No reason to plan and use them at a certain time seems like a missed opportunity for player choice
- The passive building felt lacking. Some times they were more responsive to doing what I told them and others they wouldn't build and I couldn't tell why
- Food production vs. consumption is a bit unbalanced. I was constantly hit by massive death waves due to famine
- Related to the above point, death didn't feel like it had any negative consequences. Building wasn't slower and bounceback was almost immediate
I played for a while and enjoyed it! Here is a screenshot of when I stopped: https://i.imgur.com/lMdf8t6.png
If you intend to keep developing it, here are some bugs I noticed:
- Objects could be built outside of the bounds and on top of other objects
- Visuals from lightning and rain didn't vanish when used away from island
- Population count below cities doesn't go down after people die
- Trees never respawned even though I tried watering them and everywhere
Congrats on the successful jam!
Fun idea, but a little unintuitive. I didn't really understand what was happening most of the time. Also it might have been more fun if you could place stuff yourself.