post-jam version: https://singleshotgamer.itch.io/sg-shadow-spiral
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/CKLtgB8/bryan-standing.gif" alt="bryan-standing" border="0" /> <img src="https://i.ibb.co/LPfkC5R/controls.png" alt="controls" border="0" />
GamePad Full Support!
Fill free to use a game-pad over the Basic keyboard controls.
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/6Yh6zZz/arrow-keys.png" alt="arrow-keys" border="0" /> <img src="https://i.ibb.co/k87Y5Km/d-pad.png" alt="d-pad" border="0" /> Used for basic movement, crouching down, and Speaking with Bell.
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/Wx6ZMq7/A-key.png" alt="A-key" border="0" /> Used for Jumping, wall-Jumping, Double-Jumping And Held in The Water to swim up. once at the surface of the water quickly release and press again to jump out.
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/Y7Qfyd5/action-keys.png" alt="action-keys" border="0" /> Used for Attacking, Quickly press ether button to preform a basic Combo. Press and hold any of them to Preform a strong finisher attack.
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/52K03Nb/sprint-keys.png" alt="sprint-keys" border="0" /> Use to Quickly dash foreword, Also press during an attack to back step out of it.
Enter & Start
Use them you pause the game and Skip Cut-scenes.
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/GtXyVYy/bell-stand.gif" alt="bell-stand" border="0" /> <img src="https://i.ibb.co/g6VGfzm/credits.png" alt="credits" border="0" />
- game was made by SingleShotGamer
- Music was done by Adrien Dittrick
- Special Thanks to Marco maureira and Daniel for playtesting!
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/jgPDZvg/shadow-stand.gif" alt="shadow-stand" border="0" /> <img src="https://i.ibb.co/KL286kh/screenshots.png" alt="screenshots" border="0" />
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/PG74b7Z/shot-1.gif" alt="shot-1" border="0" />
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/PcpzZNy/shot-2.gif" alt="shot-2" border="0" />
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/dJzvb9V/shot-3.gif" alt="shot-3" border="0" />
Kwisarts Level 47
- I didn't feel there was issue with the water or wall jumping, although the water felt a bit awkward
- Okay, about the path thing, it took me a while to realize that "a path" was during a full loop. I assumed a "path" was a portion of the stage. Like, the first time we can choose wether to go up or down, it's a path. So we go "ok, i am supposed to go middle now", then when another choice is present "now up", etc... And that I had to take that same path three times. Anyway
- What would have helped to figure it out alone would have been to add something in each path to help. For example, activating a panel or something.
- The dialogues felt very long. It's good to have some character development in the mix, but when you try to figure out your goal and the controls, it felt like it was too long, especially since skipping would leave out info. The characters could have a bit less of "chatting" comment. Or maybe you could have conversations really focused on the mechanics and have others that you can skip. (like, that "attacking while jumping" shtick didn't feel necessary while trying to figure out what to do; i ended up skipping the controls to figure them out alone. Btw we can't attack while jumping? I didn't figure out how to do it, so I assume she keeps ignoring him - btw i liked that she was ignoring his remarks)
- Not sure that the battle system had a real point. It felt a bit clumsy, I assume because the hitboxes didn't feel so clear, or because there was some bit of slowliness in the mix, especially with the power quick. Quicker fights would have been good, since the game mostly focuses on platforming.
- Btw, I beat the final boss without fighting, it felt way too hard. Instead, I was able to spam jump on him at the edge of the screen, and I assume this was not intended lol. I guess a fix to this would have the enemy to switch between "chasing" mode and, idk, a ranged attack mode. But I assume this was a matter of time. It's already great that you managed to add a boss!
can't write more sorry, limit :(
TobyMoby Level 12
Cool game with nice 16-bit-era style!
What I liked: -The art is very good -gameplay feels nice and solid (I didn't struggle with walljumps or getting out of the water) -Music is cool -fun to play, overall
What I'd like to see improved: -The puzzle, as others pointed out, is not really "solveable". I couldn't even figure out which path was which, because they were so interconnected, so I didn't know how to get through the course each time. -The combat felt kinda weird
Despite the issues, I really did enjoy playing through the loop a few times!
Rafabinda Level 1
Great job for the amazing art and the music !! The game has a great finition, the only issue i have is that the sprint is useless and the explosion aren't as pretty as the rest of the game. Like Loates said, it would have been great that we could guess the solution without the help of the npc but anyway the run is really pleasant. Congrats for the boss : his pattern is easy to read and he is neither too difficult nor too easy.
It was really cool to play your game !
Kylazaur Level 4
The game had a slow start? I mean it was a lot of dialogue and when the girl? said "oh btw, you can skip this" and because the intro was slow I skipped everything and then didn't know what I was suppose to do and then I did the level but I didn't because the level is a loop and then she started talking again but from the begining it was long so I skipped again... I guess I got stuck in a loop looping though your game xD.
Awesome job on the art, music and gameplay? the wall jumping was a little finicky but overall it was a fun time
Loates Level 9
Alright, before I say anything; I do have to admit that I really like the art, music and how they work together, they make a really nice atmosphere for the game which I enjoyed. There was clearly a lot of effort put into it.
However, I do have a couple of issues I'd like to point out.
Firstly, in my opinion, the controls seemed hard to handle; not in the case of a lack of understanding of what they do, but more so struggling to use them. As an example, like Wangle said, I struggled to get out of the water a couple of times. Also, for some reason, I really struggled to do the consecutive wall-jump, which ended up leaving me frustrated.
The other main issues I have is regarding the solution to the puzzle and the use of the theme. I felt that there was no way anybody could have predicted the solution as it wouldn't make sense in the context of what we've seen in the game. Therefore, for most people, the only way to find out the solution is to loop around 5 times. However, that seems to be the only use of the theme alongside the Puzzle of solving a "loop", making me feel that the theme's usage was quite weak.
I would comment on the ending, but because of the frustrating movement, I was really struggling to complete the top path and had to leave it in the end, despite these issues I found with game play and theme however, I do believe that this game was quite enjoyable because of the atmosphere it created. For future advice, I'd say to make the puzzle to solve a bit more fair, as most people like me would have just tried all the possible routes and left it there. However, I could easily be wrong about that.
Thanks for your entry!
Thank you so much For your Feed back. I put a lot of time in the art, and Adrien did a amazing job with the music.
I can understand you point, wall-jumps went giving any leeway to still be received even a frame after letting go of the directional keys. making it very strict about holding the button, I was gonna add some, but I forgot somewhere along the mess that was this project.
as for swimming I thought it was a reasonable input, but after play testing it so much I guess I was to use to it to notice. sorry about that.
the puzzle was made fore trial and error solving, there was a sound effect that played every time you followed the correct path. but I also didn't want to waste too many peoples time with rating so I let the npc tell you the solution. I guess the theme was pretty weak, honesty most of the time I just want to make these kind of games while trying to use the theme. but I'm okay with the results of that.
I'm happy that despite your issues you still found the game enjoyable. and thanks again for taking the time to leave feedback, I'll try to keep all this in mind for next time!
The controls are very un-intuitive and a bit... exotic, if you ask me! I struggled to get out of the water for a while~