No Matter What is a tough as nails bullet hell about growing a plant, no matter what it takes. Even if the plant tries to hurt you, you must keep growing it. No Matter What.
There is an ending
WASD - Move/Jump
Space - Jump
E/LMB - Interact
Alt Enter - Fullscreen
Keep the plant alive by sustaining it with water. Fill up your bucket in the pond, and hydrate your plant with the water.
@NBClongosaurus - Music
@deloadrenxi - Art
torontofangirl - Programming
Tydecon Games Level 13
An original concept and in such a cute way, not sure why my parents in this game were trying to have me killed my this plant but I liked it haha I would've liked to be able to sort of half-fill my bucket as I lost a lot of lives waiting for my bucket to re-fill, but that aside, an interesting take on the theme and a great entry! :)
Well, that was difficult, haha. Neat take on the bullet hell idea, with nice overall polish. The art for the plant/tree is especially nice, as is the character art. I, for one, would have liked more of a checkpoint system so I didn't have to go all the way back to the beginning, but I can understand that's maybe not how the genre works/prefers.
I like this idea of having to go to and from the thing trying to hurt you in order to help it. A few notes:
- I wish I had more control over the height of my jumps. When I got hit is was most often because I kept rising into a bullet long after I had released the space bar.
- I agree that movement should be inhibited in the water, as it creates the need to pick strategic moments when you are free from hazards to go for the water, but the way it is now doesn't feel quite right
- It would be nice to be able to progress in bucket filling or plant watering in stages, and perhaps return with only a partially filled bucket if necessary
- The bullets were harder to see when overlapping the trunk of the tree, which made getting by it shooting straight down while you are watering it feel extra bad
- The only phase that felt too long to me was the initial one before it started firing, everything else was fine imo
I really liked it! Great music and player/tree sprite! Congrats on the successful jam!
Elliot Level 2
When i was jumping from the pond i got stuck in the wall. Otherwise, loved the story, simple gamplay but fun. That animation was super smooth too!
keerok Level 2
Great incorperation of the theme; gameplay was solid; the plant had interesting different stages. Sound design was very good, everything had sounds and a reaction too it; the "harder" theme for the tree was a bit loud but nothing the Windows volume slider could not fix.
Really liked the idea, But Having each phase last so long and having so much hp made it a bit of a drag. Also rng and bullet-hell don't really go well together, as sometimes the patterns become undodgeable. Faster pace and easier patterns with 4/5 max hp would have made the game more fun mo. Also some more feedback on getting hit would have been nice. The story was also cool.