An owner of a fast food restaurant in a neon city gets unsatisfied by the increasing tax inflation, so he turns against the tax enforcers!
- Arrow keys to move
- Z to jump
- X to attack
- Down to interact
- Left stick/DPad to move
- A to jump
- X to attack
Along the way, you may find a room with a certain food inside. Each food has double side effects on your health, speed or damage, improving one and decreasing the other, so keep an eye out for them to improve your run to its best!
- Art: A Beast of Prey, arthurgps2, Meyland
- Coding: arthurgps2
- Music: Obame, Meyland
- Sound effects: Meyland
- If you don't take the item in the rooms and you come back to them, the item is not there anymore. Don't worry, it was actually supposed to happen. What wasn't though is the item NOT disappear when you TAKE IT and leave the room.
- Due to the previously mentioned bug, you can quite literally break the game by upping a certain stat by a lot while decreasing the other also by a lot.
- If you try to go back to the alley in the street market part, you instead are led to an empty room. Just don't do it I guess, just do everything you gotta do in the alley and leave.
- If you die during the raid part, you instead get the victory screen. No, you did not win the game. Restart and try again.
Feedback as I play:
- Please, think of people with different keyboards, i know you're using the usual keyboard control but keyboards like mine have the z and y inverted. I wish devs would default to xc instead of zx cause it's impossible to play without switching the keyboard type... which makes it very annoying for me to feedback as I play cause I gotta switch everytime...
- Pressing down to go to the next room feels counter-intuitive, games usually go with pressing up
- Could have kept the skateboard all the way through, feels weird that it gets "equiped" when you move
- Enemies move a bit too fast/have too much health considering how fast the controls are: it makes them hard to anticipate as we don't always get the time to see them
- They glitch when they are above you considering they want to chase you, so they keep moving left and right
- Not sure what items do except giving you life. I believe one gave me more attack, but because I don't see what they do, I can't quite observe their effect, as I don't really count how much I attack them, so it doesn't feel different with each pickup. I couldn't tell what the downsides or upsides were, so it made the choice not exactly feel like a choice. Like, what am I risking? It give me health either way, so I'm gonna take it. If it told me what i could earn/lose, it'd make the choice relevant
- I wish I had a bit more control while jumping
Feedback after I'm done playing:
Visuals and music are rather sweet! The controls feel a bit clunky but the fast pace makes it kinda fun to zoom through and it's cool that you get rooms to get your item on!Submitted
Thanks for the feedback! If anything, you can always use a gamepad to play, I added that functionality. I was getting inspiration from Cave Story when I was making this game, where you move rooms by pressing down. Yeah, I agree with the rest, most of the points are because I didn't have time to fix them though.
Pretty nice, I really liked the music! I think for a jam game, the different item should be explained in the game. Even though I read the description, I'm still not sure what each item I took changed. And without any information, it's hard to make a choice :( The only item I understood is the watermelon, and I had to pick it up twice in the same run to be sure 😅
Apart from that, I think the biggest improvement here would be on the readability. Like, it's hard to know what is a platform or not for example (especially in I think the second level, when you're blocked from jumping at the start). Also enemies' heads sometimes disappear in the background, it's a little creepy :DSubmitted
Interesting story. I included it in my GM48 compilation video series, if you’d like to take a look. :) https://youtu.be/mhNq7rNpmB8
I love this game haha. It feels real old school in the way you move, The music is really fun, and The Skateboard is hilarious to me when he moves, Really clever way to save some time on animations. It felt good to hit the enemies, and exploring was fun as well. I didn't really understand the theme relation to "Side Effect" though Overall really fun game.
Glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, we didn't have a walking animation for the player and we were running out of time so we had to improvise on that one lol (as well as the final stage, it was supposed to be a boss battle but again time was running out so we made a little raid thing instead). As for the old school feeling, if you mean the way you move it's probably because I decided to add some extra moving stuff to it in a way similar to Cave Story, a game I've played recently. And the "side effects" are in eating the foods, each food has an upside and a downside. You have to try them out and observe their effects to figure out what each one does. Again, glad you like it!
Those last minute title and end screens though. Anyway, cohesively styled platformer with decent music, not the most polished. Enemies were a bit hard to deal with since they just follow you horizontally at a slightly slower speed and there's not much visibility to the side with the game's aspect ratio. Pickups were nice except it was often hard to know exactly what they did (or if they did more than one thing).Submitted
It's short and sweet, good art and fun concept - I had a lot of fun, I would've liked to have seen more of it so I hope you do continue to expand on this, but good job! :)Submitted
This was surprisingly fun to play, although I feel like it would be even more fun if the enemies could jump. Other than that, great job!Submitted