Don't get me wrong, I am amazed that this was done in 48 hours, the complexity and scale of the game was huge for jam game. But it is easier to talk about things which would need polishing.
- Too few health, and bigger enemies swipe too much health by attack
- Healthpacks disappeared too quickly, no time to grab them
- Enemies from pipes came too often and immediatly without warning if you were on same height.
- If you froze enemy while getting hit by it, I would get stuck on it, especially Turtlesection I would lose tons of health as I couldn't just kill it.
I tried to get over the freeze the turtle section several times, twice I had a bit more than 300 seconds on my timer and just couldn't get over (first turtle, I just missed it all the time, and when I hit it, I missed second or third) and time run out. At last attempt I tried to get over I managed, and had like 5 or 10 health, and game continued even harder jumping sections, then I died and ragequitted :D
When you died often and went back with upgrades, getting over first level was much faster every upgrade, which was nice. Really annoying big green bats weren't so annyoing anymore. But in the beginning it was really annoying to lose health in the beginning, because I knew I wouldn't survive other levels. If you didn't have to die so often (more health etc), going back to the beginning wouldn't be se bad thing. Game just felt unfair.
So, because you had project file uploaded, I decided to open it, changed following things:
- Doubled Big enemies reaction range
- Healthpacks stayed longer
- Starting with 99 health
- Ammos double the size (easier to hit everything)
And now with previous experience/knowledge I could complete without frustration, and getting 100% was extra challenge. Now game was bit more forgiving.
Unfortunately game didn't add anything new, basically timer for Metroid. Game was really well made and large game otherwise, but it did not have enough originality on game mechanic point. Otherwise, extremely well done :)