Search for the Sky is a fast paced tightly focused platformer based entirely on the mechanic of dashing into walls to ascend vertically and keeping a continuous flow of aerial movement before reaching the ground.
- Arrow Keys to Move
- Up / Z to Jump
- Space / X to Dash
- Left Stick to Move
- A / B to Jump
- X / Y to Dash
Eric Level 3
Fun and challenging platformer :) The movement took some getting used to because of how unique it is, but that's part of the fun from what I can tell. I didn't try the other difficulties, but the fact that they are there to choose from is great. The wind loop got a bit repetitive over time. The artstyle fit really well and the bossfight was very creative. Overall very good, a full scale game like this would be very interesting!
I really like your twist on the walljump mechanic, even if it took a few tries to really understand it. Gave up on the boss though. It's really frustrating (especially with its terrible attack sound that's also way louder than everything else in the game) and I died a few times right after breaking all the boxes without understanding what to do.
kbjwes77 Level 8
Interesting design choice making the player essentially headbutt the wall to wall-jump. It was clever enough with the jumping puzzles and platforming that it stayed fresh. Wasn't the most coherent or focused set of challenges or mechanics, but it kept me playing til the end!
Kwisarts Level 46
- I like the take to make the game black and white. It's simple but it works
- the wall jump felt unnatural. That's it, not gonna give more insights than that on the matter.
- I feel like you should be able to jump a bit higher because it's frustrating that some platforms are almost reachable but require the more elaborate wall jump solution. This also makes distances hard to calculate because gravity pulls you down rather fast. So when you start the game you think you're gonna make the jump but ohoh, pulled down quicker than expected. For some jumps it's even more complicated because you need the dash even though your instinct tells you it's not needed
- Joking, I intend to give more insights on the wall jump. As much as the idea on paper is interesting, the fact that you dash towards the wall to wall jump is rather unintuitive. Not quite the reflex you'd have. But, I mean, that's a design choice. One of the issues is that the jump after dash only triggers once the dash has ended bouncing you off the wall. That means it becomes rather complicated to be consistent with that second jump, while it's an important jump as it's the sole thing that really allows you to propel yourself higher. As a result, I ended up just spamming up and space until I reached the place I aimed to reach. So in the end I feel it's a bit random and because of that, it feels like the control of the wall jump and jump doesn't rely on me entirely. It's in that way that it feels unnatural.
- Background looks pretty cool
- The ambience sound got a bit repetitive cause it was easy to tell when it looped
- The boss is very challenging in easy, i can't imagine in hard wow. Could have tone him down a lot. Always keep in mind your game is always harder for us than it is for you. Especially on easy mode, since it's supposed to be... you know... easy xD
- When the crates are all gone I would have liked a visual cue that made me notice he was still alive because I thought I was done but he caught me by surprise
- Kind of wished there was something more at the end. Like a "thank you for killing that innocent beast crate thing"
- But speaking of which, I was impressed to see a boss there! It was a pretty neat touch! The fight is rather challenging too, requiring pretty good reflexes even on easy
I managed to beat the game, but I don't remember which option I chose ^^" It was well done game, but I maybe didn't like the feeling of current dash/walljump, a bit change on that maybe. I liked it, but not that final part where there was several red things and spikes. It was hard and with a bit of luck I managed to get it. Boss was big plus, though I needed to try beat it more than ten times :s Breaking the boxes started to get annoying then, but it was nice that boss tried to snap you, not only shoot lasers. Some music could have been there to add some feeling to the game, now it just felt empty with the wind. And the looping of it wasn't smooth, it had clear start/end, next time smooth it by editing, by moving a bit of the end on top of the start. But pretty solid entry :)
Thanks for playing and writing feedback! We definitely need to get a sound / music person on the team next time, both of us didn't know what we were doing with the sounds ahaha. I do agree that the boss got repetitive after a bit, but I didn't have enough time to add anything else so I just left it like that.
Super cool mechanic. Game felt pretty good, until I got to the top left area with lot of spikes and the red things. I could not make it through that part. I died over and over, and because everything happens so quickly I never felt like I wasn't progressing or learning what I was doing wrong >.<
Edit: remembered there was a difficulty option, I went back and played on easy instead of normal. Beat the boss! :D
mediyaz Level 6
Yeah!!! As an avid Celeste player I really appreciate a well-crafted walldash / walljumper. I like this twist on the format by combining the dash and jump. This is tricky and fiddly to get the hang of and I must admit I couldn't do that super spikey section at the top left of the map, but I had a great time and it was very challenging and original oh yes and the art style was cool.
I felt like the dash mechanic felt very unnatural. I do feel however that the pacing was well crafted. The checkpoints seemed to fit well and the art was nice. Very geometric with the L-system tree and Voronoi background.
The Secret Game Developer Level 2
Nice little platformer. Let's statrt with the bad news. I don't think the sound of the wind in the background add a lot if it's just repeated at the same rate, I recommend some variation. The wall jump mechanic is pretty original and a good idea, but I think it could be implemented a bit better, it doesn't feel very natural to me.
What I really liked was the artstyle. Even though it was very simple I liked it, There were some nice details added in as well. It is a pretty basic platformer, but with some more controls I think this could turn into something unique.
TobyMoby Level 10
I love it! the dash/headbutt mechanic for climbing is very innovative, can't say I played anything like this! Fun experience overall, good difficulty curve. Boss fight was a bit brutal, but managed to kill him in the end :)